In all, the property comprises two buildings. One is the historical chapel, and the second building comprises a kitchen, meeting room and large multipurpose hall. When used for worship, on Sunday the sanctuary is opened, before being closed off at the end of worship and the building reverting to a hall for the remainder of the week.
The Manningham Uniting Church building is known locally as “The Grove” located at 147 Woodhouse Grove Box Hill North. The property is rectangle in shape and is entered to the North side of Woodhouse Grove. The site occupies 2978 Sqm, which is the size of between four and five house blocks found in the Box Hill North residential area. The entrance to the property is opposite a Catholic Church.
At the front of the block is a heritage listed small Wesleyan Chapel which dates to 1856 when the land was purchased. The chapel is built of sandstone mined nearby. When entering the property from Woodhouse Grove, the chapel appears to extend onto the footpath with pedestrians having to walk around the entrance which gives the impression of being an “add on” to the historic building.
The chapel continues to be used today as a place of worship by a Greek Orthodox community seating up to 100 people.
In the early 1950’s there was a resurgence in numbers worshiping in the Chapel as new families arriving. Plans were prepared and a small room and kitchen were added to the property behind the original chapel as a stand-alone building.
In 1961 a much larger “all-purpose” hall was added to the southern side of the small room which then became a meeting room. The meeting room can accommodate 30 people in comfort.
In 1990, a sanctuary and stain glass windows were added to the south wall of the large multipurpose hall and worship was then held in the hall. The sanctuary is closed off from the hall by large sliding wooden doors. The hall is capable of seating 200 people and has a large stage at the northern end of the hall
A memorial garden was created behind the historic church and dedicated in 1996. There are brass plaques attached to a bench seat in the garden. Across from the chapel and the main entrance is a large, old heritage listed red-gum tree facing Woodhouse Grove, dating back to a time before the chapel was built. Behind the main hall and meeting room is a car park area able to park 50 cars.